Project Management Proverbs
- You can con a sucker into committing to an unreasonable deadline, but you can't bully him into meeting it.
- The more ridiculous the deadline, the more it costs to try to meet it.
- The more desperate the situation, the more optimistic the situatee.
- You can freeze the user's specs, but he won't stop expecting.
- Frozen specs and the abominable snowman are alike: They are both myth and they both melt when sufficient heat is applied.
- A user will tell you anything you ask about -- nothing more.
- What you don't know hurts you.
Copied from a prof's lecture notes.
From a signature (unknown source):
"The first 90% of a project takes 90% of the available time. The remaining 10% takes another 90%."
Finally figured out where the term 'herding cats' came from: "... oversees six first-rate programmers, a managerial challenge roughly comparable to herding cats". http://www.thok.org/intranet/index.html
back to Programming