Signs that you have a case of "Hardening of the Architecture":
- Difficulty in completing simple changes
- Difficulty in swallowing change requests
- Unusual ratio of test to development time
- A sore spot that won't heal
- Application Paralysis - inability to build and upgrade applications/systems
I guess this is one of the reasons to seriously look at an AgileProgramming ? method, combined with a proper (perhaps even automated) Testing framework.
Early intervention keeps productivity levels up. Fortunately, even if the symptoms are in an advanced state, today there are many good remedies available.
See also Programming, Databases, AgileProgramming ?